Updated: Oct 12, 2020
5 Ways to Help Fellow Designers
I have been thinking a lot about how the interior design world will be impacted by this pandemic, as I'm sure many of you have. Uncertainty is no stranger to our industry, we have been through a lot of ups and downs over the years and come through the other side. I remember graduating college in 2011 during the recession and feeling so hopeless on finding a job. It was not easy but I made my way into this industry and I am here today because I never quit or let circumstances hold me back. The key is to have faith in ourselves that we can get through this, like we have gotten through hard times before. We can rely on each other as a community and get through this together!
With everything going on, let's take the time to enjoy our homes and families like never before. We are often so busy with work that we desire things to slow down. Well, here it is. It's not the ideal situation, but I have no doubt that THIS IS TEMPORARY. Things will pick up again like they always do. In the meantime, I've compiled some ideas on how we can support each other during this time.
1. REVIEWS & TESTIMONIALS: Have you worked with me before? I am going to make it my mission to leave a review for many of the designers that I've worked with before, and you can do the same for myself and others! You can leave reviews on Google and Facebook, and you can write recommendations on Linked In. You can also e-mail personal testimonials for designers to post directly to their websites. This costs nothing at all and is a great way to spend this down time. I know I always appreciate a kind review, or feedback of any kind! Good and bad reviews can help us grow and learn to be better. And the great part about writing someone a review is that they usually want to pay it forward and write one for you, or help you in some way as a thank you.
2. SOCIAL MEDIA: Let's follow each other, like, comment, and save posts to boost traffic and engagement for one another! Did you know that saving a post significantly boosts traffic to an instagram post? More so than commenting, which really surprised me! My instagram handle is @stacinugentdesign, find me and reach out, let's help each other grow!
3. ONLINE PURCHASES: We can support each other by purchasing what other designers have to offer on their websites. This comes in so many forms, such as training courses, coaching sessions, business tools, art, products, platforms, you name it! Our community has so much to offer each other, and what better time to work on improving yourself and your business by taking what another designer is trying to teach you? I offer a training course called Photoshop for Interior Designers. Please reach out to me with what you offer and I will share it to my social media.
4. REFERRALS: Look for every opportunity to refer each other clients. If someone is asking for help and you know a designer who is the perfect fit, refer them! Referrals always come back around for me. I recommend others and I see others recommend me, it's such a wonderful feeling to know that others are looking out for you!
5. SEEK & GIVE ADVICE: I am in several facebook groups for interior designers, and I see so much positive feedback to each other in there when help is requested. Sometimes it's the design of their new logo, what to say to a difficult client, or how to handle slow periods of business. There is so much to learn from these groups of amazing designers. If you are struggling with anything right now, go post in your favorite group and ask for help. And on the flip side, when you see someone asking for advice, freely give it. There is no better time to help each other than now. You also build community and network this way, which is something we can all use at all times.